Everything seemed to be going as planned. We started the game with our usual full court pressure and built up our typical early game lead. At the end up the first quarter we led 12-2. But then Sycamore fought back to make it a 16-10 game at halftime and then they took the lead 20-18 at the end of the 3rd quarter. The difference was that we can usually hold onto the lead - but this time we couldn't do it. Sycamore got hot from the field and rallied for 20 second half points to win the game 30-22. In looking back on it I should have switched to a man to man defense or mixed up something to stop their momentum. The other problem was that we just couldn't generate any second half offense. Again...what could we have done differently? Sycamore's switch to a tough 2-3 zone shut us down offensively and I didn't come up with an answer.I guess I have all off season to think on that one. In the end, the boys played hard but just lost to probably a better team, nothing to be ashamed of. Jack led the scoring with 10 points and 7 rebounds. Adam and Patrick both had 4 points while Rohan and Elliott also added 2 points each. A tough loss but we'll all learn from it!
I just couldn't be any prouder of how the kids did this year. As you all know, we were playing against try out teams this year. I was very concerned about how we would do this year. Not that it's about wins and losses but I didn't want the kids to come our an endure a win less or losing season because they've enjoyed so much success up to this point. We ended up proving that we belonged. To end the regular season 11-3 (17-4 overall) was a great accomplishment. Our goal was to improve as a team and also become better players, I think we accomplished that - without a doubt. The better competition made us better. I think every player on this team has improved dramatically this year. What a great group of kids. I'd also like to thank the parents for their support. And also thanks to the coaches (is this starting to sound like an acceptance speech at the Oscars?). It is so nice to have 3 other coaches willing to do so much and help out. Not to take anything away from Coach Bishop and Pennington but I couldn't have make it without Coach Cooper. Coach Cooper knows basketball and I've learned a tremendous amount from him this year. Pretty much anything you saw us do well our there probably was his idea.
So there you have it. I'll send out details soon about a year end party. For those of you scoring at home that 17-4 record runs our lifetime team record to an impressive 43-6!
No comments:
Post a Comment